New Zealand Immigration
New Zealand Visa Requirements
To visit New Zealand your passport must be valid for 3 months after the date that you intend to leave. You also need to have an onward/return ticket to a country where you’ve permission to enter.
British Citizens don’t need a visa or visitor permit and can stay for up to 6 months.
Australian Citizens don't require a visitor permit when travelling to New Zealand.
Passport holders from the following countries don’t require a visitor visa or permit, and can visit New Zealand for up to 3 months:
|* Estonia||Malta||United Arab Emirates (UAE)|
|* Greece||Norway||Vatican City|
|* Hong Kong||Oman|
* Residents from these countries should read more details on their New Zealand visa allowance on the New Zealand Immigration website.
Working Holiday Visa
Citizens and passport holders from the following countries are entitled to work in New Zealand under the Working Holiday Scheme:
|Mexico||United Kingdom||* China|
Most countries listed in the above table are able to apply online. Please visit the New Zealand Immigration Working Holiday Schemes page for full details on applying for a Working Holiday Visa.
New Zealand Immigration - Types Of Visa
Working temporarily in NZ - the criteria to apply includes:
- A person between 18 and 30 wanting a working holiday - Working Holiday Category
- A person with a job offer - Essential Skills Category
- A young, skilled person looking for skilled work - Silver Fern Categories
- A person coming to NZ for a specific event (e.g. tournament) - Specific Purpose or Event Category
- A person joining a partner who is already in NZ - Family Stream Category
- A student or a trainee - Student and Trainee Category
- A student looking for work after completing their studies in NZ - Student to Work Category
- China Special Work Category - aimed at Chinese nationals who are qualified as traditional Chinese medicine practitioners, chefs, Mandarin teachers’ aides, wushu martial arts coaches or tour guides.
- China Skilled Workers Category - limited amount of visa that last for 3 years in speicifed occupations.
Working and living in NZ permanently - the criteria to apply includes:
- A skilled worker who meet a points threshold (140) will be automatically picked from the 'pool of applicants' every two weeks and be invited to apply for a visa. After 140 points, the next highest points are picked out.Skilled Migrant Category.
- A person already already on a 'Work to Residence visa' and who now wants to apply for permanent residence - Work to Residence Category
- A person who wants to move to New Zealand to be with their partner - Family Partnership Category
Already in New Zealand
- If you are already in New Zealand and are wishing to change your visa (e.g. apply for a permanent residency visa) there are a number of different entry paths. Keep up to date with the latest information on this page of the NZ Immigration website.